Want to Audition for the MSYO?
MSYO auditions are held in May prior to the start of the following new concert season. The best time to send your application is in early spring. If you just found out about our program, please contact us for openings instrument availability by email. Modesto Symphony Youth Orchestra is currently accepting mid-season applications. We are primarily seeking to fill openings for viola, bass, oboe, trumpet, French horn, trombone, and percussion.
To start the audition process follow these three easy steps:
- Email us for openings
- Download the following application and review the repertoire requirements
- 2015-16 MSYO New Member Audition Form (pdf, 372 Kb)
- Return your application to the MSO office with the $15 audition fee. Our mailing address is 911 13th Street, Modesto, CA 95354.
- Upon receipt of your application our Youth Orchestra Manager, Lyndsey Enoki, will contact you with an audition location & appointment time.
All students should prepare a piece that adequately shows their ability on their instrument. Students will be assessed for technical ability, intonation, rhythmic accuracy, and musicianship. Students are allowed to audition on multiple instruments. An accompanist will not be provided. Entrance to the Youth Orchestra is not guaranteed. In addition to a solo piece, students should prepare the applicable technical exercises listed below:
(Intermediate – Advanced) Strings, Winds & Percussion (Grades 9-12)
- STRINGS: Students should prepare a solo piece and a three octave major AND minor scale. (Four notes slurred per bow). Any scale can be played except for G major.
- WINDS: Students should prepare a solo piece and a chromatic scale encompassing the range of their instrument. Students will also be asked to play a two octave major AND minor scale.
- PERCUSSION: Students should be prepared to a solo piece and be prepared to demonstrate all basic rudiments. Students auditioning on timpani may be asked to tune drums to pitches chosen by the audition committee.
(Beginning – Intermediate) Strings, Winds & Percussion (Grades 5-9)
- STRINGS: Students should prepare a solo piece and two octave major AND minor scale of their choosing. Students should be prepared to play the scale four notes slurred per bow.
- WINDS: Students should prepare a solo piece and one major AND one minor scale.
- PERCUSSION: Students should prepare a solo piece and demonstrate a sampling of all basic rudiments, including: rolls, flams, and paradiddles.